It has been overcast, rainy, and humid these past few days. I met with my group of running friends at 6am on Saturday for an easy 8 miles. Since my boys decided to lock up my iPod a while back, and I don't have patience when dealing with electronics, it is still inoperable. I've been using my iPhone, listening to Pandora. I love Pandora. Since there was a 30% chance of rain, I opted to leave the music behind. I've ran without music, but I like to have it. Especially on days that we run the bridge.
Safety tip: If you're going to run with music, run with one earbud. I do. There's always bikers, other runners, and not to mention....CARS around. Plus you never know if the Koo-koo man is in the bushes waiting to get you. What? Your mom never told you the Koo-koo man would get you?
So last week, the girls stopped at 6.5 miles and I felt good. I ran a little more to complete 8 miles. Now, remember, I am slowly building my base after not really running much this year. Due to injury and illness.
So 8 miles has been my longest run since February. Ok, so last week I felt really good and ran 8 miles. This week, I couldn't wait to see an 8 on my Garmin soon enough! It was sooooo humid. I think it was 86% humidity and 76 degrees at 6am.
Back to my new love.....
My Lululemon turbo run shorts. Here they are on me. Before you judge me about spending that much dough on a pair running shorts, let me tell you why they are so great. (PS- they were a gift for Mother's Day.)
It's pretty annoying when you have it loaded with all of your stuff because it tends to bounce when full. I carried a half bag of Gu chomps, travel size wipes, and my keys. No bouncing. No chafing.
2. There is a small zipper storage compartment in the back. The zipper gives me peace of mind. I can put my keys here, or even cash and a credit card and not have to worry about it falling out.
3. No diaper butt. You know what I am talking about. The saggy butt that most running shorts give you. Most running shorts are not flattering. My Lulu's fit well.
4. They aren't too short. My turbo run shorts are a little longer, with a 4&1/2 inseam. If short shorts are your thing, they do have shorter shorts.
5. Lightweight and built in briefs. I love how lightweight these shorts are. The material is called Swift and Luxtreme. Lululemon has developed their own materials that are dry-wicking and comfy.
6. Continuous drawcord. Have you ever had to use a safety pin to get your drawstring out of the hole? I have. It's not fun and is annoying. You don't have to worry about that with these shorts.
My other new love is a skinny iced mocha post-run. I like to think of it as my "chocolate milk with protein recovery drink". Technically, it has milk and chocolate. If I am totally wrong, let me think I am right because it is heaven after a long run.
Last, but not least, is an old love. My Mizuno's. They are my faithful running shoes. I haven't ran in another brand of running shoes.
How about you? Any run or fitness loves?